Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hold Heart, Don't Beat So Loud. - Part Two: Lunch To An Encounter

We were on our way to my car crossing every body's' cars in the parking lot. It was full, no doubt. That's how it always was at around noon to 3, it's really hard to find a good spot to park your car, the university would be in full capacity. We planned on going to Fridays, Deena and I; but we knew the place would be crowded since it was a Thursday and people got off work and university early. I decided to take my car and she would ride with me since she didn't feel like driving, as I waited for the car to heat, Deena opened the Radio and quickly played the CD after realizing there was nothing worth listening on it. ''Right Round'' was the first song on the list, as Flo Rida sang, I drove out of the parking and out on the road after crossing the gate. Eventually, we decided to go to Fridays regardless of the people occupying the place, we'd be there in 20 minutes, I hoped. We didn't talk much, Deena was looking out the window as I was looking straight ahead focusing on the road while "Disintegrate" was playing in the background, we were both in our own worlds.

I was in my own world... My mind was reminiscing back on the times when I was 18, just a freshman in Gust. My first course started off so well, and I was very motivated to work hard, I decided before entering Gust that I didn't want to meet people and be build close relationships with them, and I definitely didn't want to associate with people who would be wasting my time and getting me sucked into all the drama a school can bring. I was growing up, and I didn't need new problems in my life. I was naive, young, and stupid. Things didn't go according to plan. Now in my third year, I remember so many scenarios where I had to work so hard to solve problems and stay up all nigh studying to keep my G.P.A above a 3.5. Things weren't easy, but the only reason why they weren't easy is because I made them that way, I took the wrong decisions, I was at the wrong places at the wrong times with the wrong crowd. But people learn, and so did I that you can't trust people completely, some had to learn that the hard way and I was definitely one of them.

I didn't mind the privacy and the solitude sometimes, I love it because no one would be around and I'd be able to think straight without any distractions. My mind went to the place where I always run away to relax and just let go, Anjafa - by the beach where I'd just lay down and enjoy the sort breeze; then and only then would I start feeling better, it was the place of my healing processes, I always felt better right after leaving, no matter what my problems where. The sea, the sky, the stars are my places of haven. My haven. I must've been thinking about this all the way to Fridays, I found a decent parking spot a few cars away from the direction of the door; Deena and I both applied some extra make-up before locking the car and making our way to the door of the restaurant. Just like we've predicted; people where on a waiting list and some were standing outside in the cold weather while others were making themselves comfortable at the benches waiting for their reserved tables. ''Please don't tell me we're going to wait so long. I'm starving!" Deena said pleadingly, I felt the same way but knowing that all the restaurants on he Gulf Road would be crowded, we signed our names and waited next to a young couple who were right next to us on the benches with their baby. I guessed that the child was around two or three years old and he was probably one of the most beautiful babies I've seen in my life, wearing a blue shirt and baby jeans that were dark. He wore a striped blue and white scarf and had it wrapped around his little neck protecting him from the cold, he was full of energy since his parents couldn't keep him sitting down on one spot.

The mother finally let go of the baby and put him gently on the floor so he could walk around close by and she would keep an eye on him away from the street. The baby seemed happy, so excited to be out and about and is able to smell the fresh air, looking out on the sea. He made me smile, Deena isn't very fond of babies, so obviously she didn't have the same reaction as I did. That put another smile on my face. She was the sort of person who had a rough surface built of hard stones to cover her vulnerable heart; and even though she never admits it, I know that she's most probably one of the very few people I know in my life who would fight everything but at the end of the day she'd break down from exhaustion and is scared of love. I've known her for a long time, and after a few experiences and sensitive situations, I was able to read what kind of a person she is. Strong, yet delicate. The baby was getting closer to her now, laughing as he approached her, Deena was mumbling a song that I wasn't able to figure out just before she froze in her spot on the bench. ''Move it away from me.'' was all she said and I started laughing hysterically, she didn't refer to the baby as a human being! Mean.

I lifted him up after getting nods of encouragement and permission from both parents. He wasn't heavy at all, definitely not more than three years old I thought. ''What's his name?" I asked the mother, "Jasem" she replied with a proud smile of a happy mother. She seemed content, what a beautiful feeling. A name on that face, he really was adorable. I held him close and could smell the natural scent of babies, I breathed in the smell with all my power, Deena was looking at me like I was undressing myself in public. Weird. I didn't mind, Jasem was just too cute. Our names came up and we had to go in, I waved to Jasem and said goodbye and smiled to the parents before walking in. Picture perfect. A husband, a wife, and a gorgeous child. A lovely family, as we made our way past the tables and chairs, I hoped that I would have this sort of life in the future. Is it a long way from now? I don't know, probably... As soon as we sat in the Non-Smoking Area facing each other, I placed my bag next to me and started scanning the crowded restaurant behind my Ray Bans.

No one familiar, thank Goodness. I breathed out a shallow breath feeling the stress draining out of my body, I needed good food and just a little bit more of fresh air. Deena and I first ordered our usual Strawberry Margaritas, six pieces of jalapeƱos and cheese nachos before our main dishes. Spending around an hour and a half there, we observed people entering and leaving the restaurant while enjoying our meals and talking about pointless topics about how badly flan looked today and how pretty flana's kitten heals were at Gust today. We'd notice different things - Deena and I - not comment at the time, but end up talking about the same things hours later shocked of how alike our minds function. Kela shemata, makoo fayda, we never learn to shut up. But we both trust each other to act like the rest of the bitches and go around talking to strangers and friends and cosines of strangers about whoever's outfit 37 days ago. We quickly paid our waiter and left Fridays heading to my car, and while crossing the street, I was on the phone not paying any attention to people around me and talking to Rawan, my sister about things she needed from the super market; meaning I had to stop for some grocery shopping before going back home.

Deena was ahead of me, walking so elegantly in her beige 3 inch stilettos; I saw a person approaching her as she was a few feet away from the car. Here we go again... ''Rawan, let me call you in a bit." and hung up quickly while walking to Deena who wasn't paying any attention to anything around her. The man was obviously in his early to mid twenties, with short dark hair and attractive black eyes, his nose was slightly crooked and his jaw line was firm and strongly shaped giving him a ''bad boy look''. His shoulders were broad and his tanned arms (even though it was still winter) showed that he's the type of man who goes to the gym frequently, very athletic features. He was wearing beige shorts and a dark blue shirts with the sleeves neatly rolled up his arms, I didn't need to check the shoes; he was definitely attractive. The man started talking to Deena about the parking spot I've taken. "Law sama7tay i5tee, hathy sayartich?" pointing to my car, "La it's my friend's" Deena answered him just before I joined them. "Hala u5ooy, 3asa ma shar." I asked wondering what on earth I did wrong, I looked at my car and it wasn't parked wrong or blocking anyone else's car; I double checked before going in to Fridays.

What's going on? Who is this guy? He paused, staring at me. ''Oh hala feech." his looks were weird, staring for a few long seconds. I couldn't take it anymore! "Is everything okay?" I asked in a somewhat -5ali9ny mista3yila- tone; he certainly noticed the vibe. I regretted how I asked him that immediately, I'm sure he wasn't just standing and talking to me for no reason, it was obvious he wasn't flirting as well. He didn't seem the type, how would I know? I only met him a minute ago, I don't know what his name is a9lan! Why the fuck am I thinking about his name? I shouldn't care. His next words made me come back to earth. "One of your tires is flat. You shouldn't drive like this, it's pretty dangerous in the Gulf Road. I noticed it as I got out of my car." His black Cayenne was perfectly parked next to mine, I looked at my tire and back to his face in confusion, I didn't understand. Was I driving with a flat tire at the back? No! I would've felt it, I would've drove funny. No. It happened when we were eating inside, someone did this to my baby! Deena grabbed the keys from my hand without any word, unlocked the car and sat on the passenger's seat as I stood outside with this stranger.

"Many fahma, sh9ar? It was fine laman 9ifa6t w dasheit, minu sawa chithy?" I knew it was someone who did that, these things don't happen, damn it! "Mm.. madri walla, ma shift shay ana tawnee wa9il, but I'll tell you what? I've got an extra tire in my trunk, and if you're not in a huge hurry, I could replace it with your flat one, I even have the equipment." He answered me pointing at his trunk with his thumb. "Oh no, mashkoor. Maby ata3bik, at9araf la radeit il beit inshalla" I said as I walked to the door of my side of the car and opened it before walking in. He was still standing there. Ahum. "You can't drive like this! Gitlich it's dangerous." and that's when I noticed his American accent between the Kuwaiti words, Missouri? Seems like it. Mabye he grew up there, the accent was very strong. "I said it's okay, wat9araf la radeit il beit. And thank you." I said the last three words cheny ba6ega for getting too close to me, he was wearing cologne; and it smelled good. 7ada moo wagta Danah! After a few more minutes of convincing me, and -yes- looks from Deena, I finally gave in and observed this man as he replaced the tires silently. He seems like he knew what he was doing, I was glad I'd go home driving safely; because of this man, what a gentleman I thought as he went on doing his thing.

His muscles were clearly visible through his shirts as I looked at his back, it fitted him perfectly, Deena kept looking at me from inside the car smiling mischievously as I looked back at her questionably and giving her -Shut up, ee 5air- sharp glances. He eventually did everything and put the flat tire and equipment back in his trunk. He dusted off the dirt on both of his hands and shorts and faced me with a smile, what a smile, I hope he didn't notice how much I stared at him while he was removing my flat tire! He knew... It showed from that smile, he knew. Shit, fuck, damn it. Should I thank him and leave? Should I forget that this ever happen? Should I give him the sanitizer in my bag? Urgh... It really bothered me knowing he got his hands dirty for me. "And that's done, now you can go waana mirta7." he said. Wuhwa mirta7? Okay... Awkward! But nice! I smiled back, "Thank you, walla ma ga9art, I'm glad you helped us out." "Il 3afoo, walaw, a girl like you shouldn't be driving around with a flat tire around here." he replied.

I could feel the heat on my cheeks. Was I blushing? Shit! I kept telling myself to just walk away, get in the car, and drive away; but something drew me to him and I didn't know what it was. It was getting late. I HAD TO LEAVE. We just stood there facing each other and not saying a single word, surprisingly, the silence wasn't at all weird nor uncomfortable. I had this great urge to ask for his name, shakoo?! Intay minu 3ashan tis2ileen hal insaan 3an isma? Just because he replaced your flat tire doesn't give you the right to ask him that! "I didn't catch your name." I asked before thinking about it any longer, shit. I did not just say that. Yes, I have. His smile grew bigger, dimples. He had dimples on his cheeks! Kill me now! "Khaled, and yours?" He asked, "Wini3im, I'm Danah." I answered. "3ashat lasami Danah" Khaled said just as I shook his hand... Deena was still smiling. Khaled was smiling at me, I was smiling at the deteriorated concrete street. We were all smiling...

P.S Just incase anyone's still lost, this story is complete fiction. All the charecters and scenerios in it are made up, nothing is true. Just real life drama here and there.

N. Kk
xx

4 comments:

  1. Oh okay lol guess I should've read this part before commenting there *smacks self* idiot!
    I love it! Your writing is great and I love the characters and omg YAY Khaled, apparently chivalry is NOT dead *sigh* finally, hope! ;p
    Keep it up;*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chivalry is definetely not dead! ;p
    Glad you both liked it ;*

    ReplyDelete
  3. woyyyyyyy dimples yummmm *licks his cheek*


    love it!

    ReplyDelete