Monday, March 23, 2009

Hold Heart, Don't Beat So Loud. - Part Three: A Fortunate Coincidence

I drew away from Khaled and slowly made my way to my side of the car; I was positive he was still standing where he was and stared at me walking away. He then approached me and closed my door gently as I got into the car, he looked around the parking lot to make sure no one was around to witness strangers making conversations; it didn't seem right. Then, he withdrew his glance from the lot and looked at me, I wasn't paying any attention to him really, Deena was asking if we could go since her next class started in about half an hour. I had to go; I didn't want to, but I had to. ''You can't just leave.'' He said, is he serious? Just because he decided to be all chivalrous and replaced my screwed up tire doesn't mean I was obliged to listen to this man, I made a -don't tell me what to do- face and he understood right away. I put my sunglasses back on and started rolling up the window, ''Okay, okay. Here's the deal, and you can say no if you want to, but for the sake of this fortunate coincidence, give me a chance to get to know you.'' Wow.

He really is serious! I turned to Deena on my right with complete shock on my face, how was I supposed to react? He obviously wanted to leave his number, I never accepted a number from random guys on the street, the whole idea was always tacky to me; but he's really attractive, and he seemed nice. Why not? ''Just take his number, Danouh. You know you want to!'' Deena murmured under her breath so Khaled wouldn't hear her, she was smiling as well. Obviously she was all for it. Deena always had bigger balls than mine, she was never scared or shy, she knew she'd never call any of the men who tried ra8iming her because it was clear they'd be doing it all day long and she would just be one of the ''9aida'' girls. She knew better. But I was never like that, I didn't know how to play smart with men while driving or out and about, I was too naive and blind to notice the signs men would do; even when Deena or any other girl I'm out with states it out loud to me, I wouldn't be noticing a person flirting. It. Just. Wasn't. My. Thing. ''Okay, but only if you promise to leave right after. 'Cause there's an old couple behind you and they won't stop staring.'' I replied. Oh. My. God! I said it...

His barely-a-smile was now a big smile across his face, the dimples again... Beautiful.

I prayed right there and then that I didn't seem stupid for staring at him like that, he answered me. ''Really? Ma9adig! Thank you, you won't regret it'' Khaled promised. ''I really hope not.'' I said with a smile just as big as his as I gave him my cell phone to save his number. A few seconds of silence... ''Here you go. I saved it. Text me or call wala ay shay tabeena, aham shay tkoonin mirta7a, and I really am lucky.'' He said. I just returned his gaze with another grin, simple. And apparently affective. I promised I'd text him later on today and reversed the car just as Khaled went into the restaurant to meet his friends, he was late. Ya7leila, he wasn't rude about it, bil 3ags. So sweet. As I drove out of the parking and took the first U-turn to head to Mishref, Deena kept looking at me, was she smiling? Was she surprised of what I've done? Was that a -I'm proud of you- face?

I said nothing, pretending like I haven't noticed any of it, and made my way back to the university while listening to numerous songs from the CD Deena put in. Was this a good thing? I prayed it was. The last thing I needed was more problems with men in my life; just the thought of it made me nervous, I promised myself I'd act smart this time. No commitments. Nothing. Why was I even thinking about that? It's not like I've met the guy a long time ago, more like thirty seconds ago. So I just blocked the whole idea from my head as I entered the North gate and slowly drove to the North Entrance where Deena kissed me goodbye, grabbed her notebooks and bag, and closed the door of the car behind her. She really was beautiful, ma aloom ishabab la shafouha, even in the university, she wasn't very tall, but definitely had a great figure, healthy more than lean, and had a fresh look rather than all that artificial stuff you'd add on your face and body just to seem attractive. She didn't give it a lot of effort, beautiful.

And what's even more attractive about her is her pure heart, she had a big one. Never did I notice bad behavior from her, even when she was wronged, she'd always apologise when mistaken and helps her friends whenever she had the opportunity. She had confidence when she walked, and that was appealing to people around her, she's the sort of person who would turn heads as she'd make her way across a room, and she knew it; but was never too confident about the looks she'd get. A lady.

I drove out of Mishref, and went to the co-op for the things my sister needed, she planned on a little get together with her friends at our house this evening, I knew it would be a long night, so I grabbed another coffee on my way home; fortunately, there was barely any traffic. I was back in no time. As I parked my car and collected my books, bag, phone and the groceries, my mother parked her Lexus next to me. She shot me a smile, and I knew for some reason that she had good news.

Bist'ha 3ala ras'ha as soon as we walked into the house, it was cold, the A.C was on, wasn't it too early to switch it on just yet? I made a mental note in my head to asha3'il the heater in my room before my bath, a bath... I couldn't wait. ''Mama wein ri7tay 3ugub idawam?'' My mother asked, ''T3'adeit ma3a Dee, yuma. Radeit'ha ijam3a w kanee.'' I said as I smiled to her, she loves Deena and always saw her as her own daughter. Tzifha la 3'li6at, make her laugh when she was going through a bad time, and was proud when Deena accomplished things ever since they've met. I loved seeing them together, she trusts Deena just like she trusted me. ''Bil 3afia galbi, yalla goomay tsabi7ay w ray7ay gabil il 3asha ilyoum ma3a i5tich, you've had a long morning. When you're up, stop by at my room, aby akalmich ib salfa.'' ''Inshalla, yuma.'' I said as I descended the two steps from our living room and strolled over to my bedroom. I sent Khaled a message just before I got undressed and lit candles, I added aromas in my bathroom just to help me lean back and relax, I needed it. ''Hey, it's Danah :) I just got back home, I promised to text you soon, so here you go :)''. Bleh... Can I be anymore lame? Nope. That's as low as it got, whatever, zein minee dazeit message. I carried my iPod, my phone, and the novel I was determined to finish just before switching the heater on and made my way back to the dimmed bathroom.

I hope you liked it ;)

N. Kk
xx

3 comments: